Our Mission: Donate 10% of all photo proceeds to charitable organizations.




Saturday, March 5, 2011

a dog, a barn and a moment of inspiration


(Gin the German Shepherd, protecting her barn full of horses).

I've been in a sort of hibernation mode as far as shooting goes, spending more time studying than picture-taking, hoping to enhance my technical skills and increase my odds of a great capture.

I haven't gotten any better during my time off, but I have discovered this: If I'm not inspired, it ain't happening - I'm not going to be able to take a good picture. I shoot best looking through a lens of inspiration. And today, I found myself inspired - nearly tripping over flakes of hay in search of my camera, hoping that Gin would maintain her "pose" long enough for me to take her picture.

To me, a good picture captures the essence of our subject. The mood of our subject. I wanted to articulate Gin's undeniable prowess and dominance, but also her lovable curiosity. Although she refused to allow me, the new girl on the farm, to pet her, she followed me around with a stick in her mouth, hoping that I'd succumb to game of tug-of-war.

I'm looking forward to the other inspiring photographic opportunities my time on the farm will surely bring. To all of my fellow photographers seeking inspiration: I propose getting in your car and driving to a farm. There's so much going on there - so much life in its animals, landscapes and structures. Just a thought ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment