Our Mission: Donate 10% of all photo proceeds to charitable organizations.




Saturday, April 9, 2011

House Plants

I'm no master gardener, but I've had decent luck keeping our few house plants alive over the past couple months (well, I did kill the first basil plant by keeping it on the balcony overnight in the dead of winter, but we'll let that one slide). The growth adds a little bit of green to the otherwise dreary 1-bedroom apartment in the heart of the Montgomery County suburbs. Where am I going with this? Well, yesterday I borrowed my friend James Masciuch's Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. I've missed having a fast lens as my 50mm f/1.8 and 60mm f/2.8 were both stolen over the summer. My Canon 15-85mm f/3.5 is great, but the f/2.8 gives me slightly more versatility in low-light, indoor situations.


I woke up this morning and before taking Donovan for a walk I wanted to try out James' lens. I went straight over to the plants, getting ample sunlight (or should I say "overcast light") through the windows. I'd forgotten how great the depth of field can be when you're shooting with a fast lens, how much more depth (creative word choice, I know) it gives a simple photo.


I think I may do a series of house plant shots to frame and hang in the near future because I know it's much easier to keep photos of house plants alive than it is to keep the actual plants thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment